On 01-May-2021, the Ministry of finance after taking into consideration the severe impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and the multiple representations from various tax associations as well as the stakeholders has announced several extensions under the income tax Act. One of the most sought extensions was the filing of income tax returns. Income Tax Return Due Date Extended for FY 2019-20 (AY 2020-21) again by issuing CBDT issues Circular No. 08/2021 dated 30.04.2021 under section 119 of the IT Act, 1961. It has extended due dates of filings income tax returns belated as well as revised, TDS payment and return due dates under certain sections, Income-tax return in response to section 148, Appeals, DRC applications, etc.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman earlier also announced that the income tax return due date extended for FY 2019-20 from 31st October 2020 to 31st March 2021. Now-Again Income tax return due dates for FY 2019-20 (AY 2020-21) extended to 31st May 2021.
Various Extension in Income Tax Due Dates Announced on 01-05-2021
Here are a gist of the announcement in various income tax due dates:
Income Tax Return due date extended for FY 2019-20 (AY 2020-21)
Extension in income tax return due dates for belated & revised return under section 139(4) and 139(5) of the income tax Act, for Financial Year 2019-20 (AY 2020-21), which was required to be filed on or before 31st March 2021. The extended due date to file the return is now 31st May 2021.
Due date of Payment of TDS & Return Extended under Few Section
Due date of Payment of TDS under Section 194-IA, Section 194-IB and Section 194M of the income tax Act, and Filing of TDS return for the same, which is required to be paid and furnished by 30th April 2021(respectively) may be paid and furnished on or before 31st May 2021
CIT (Appeal) Due Date Extended
Income Tax Commissioner appeal (CIT Appeals), for which the last date of filing is 1st April 2021 or thereafter, may be filed within the time provided under that Section or by 31st May 2021, whichever is later
Objection to DRP due date extended
Objections to Dispute Resolution Panel (DRP) under Section 144C of the Act, for which the last date of filing under that Section is 1st April 2021 or thereafter, may be filed within the time provided under that Section or by 31st May 2021, whichever is later
Income tax return in response to notice under Section 148 extended
Income-tax return in response to notice under Section 148 of the Act, for which the last date of filing of return of income under the said notice is 1st April 2021 or thereafter, may be filed within the time allowed under that notice or by 31st May 2021, whichever is later;
Statement and Declaration (Form 61 & Form 60) Due Date Extended
Statement in Form No. 61, containing particulars of declarations received in Form No.60, which is due to be furnished on or before 30th April 2021, maybe furnished on or before 31st May 2021.
This will benefits various taxpayers who were not able to furnish their income tax returns on the extended due dates. Find below the announcement on the twitter:
Download Circular for extension of income tax due dates
Finance Ministery extended timelines of certain compliances, to mitigate the difficulties faced by taxpayers due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. CBDT issues Circular No. 08/2021 dated 30.04.2021 u/s 119 of the IT Act, 1961
- Section 194Q Analysis: TDS on Purchase of Goods-Applicability, Threshold, Rate (With 35 FAQ’s)
- Latest TDS Rate Chart for FY 2021-22 (AY 2022-23)
- All About Section 206C(1H)- TCS on Sale of Goods
- FAQ on TCS on Sale of Goods under Section 206C(1H)
- Indiataxlaws.com is an online knowledge bank for professionals like CA, CS, CMA, Advocates, MBAs, and Finance Professionals. We provide the latest updates, articles, notifications, circulars, court judgments etc. relating to taxation and corporate laws in India.
Latest Article Written
- 2021.10.07ArticlesInput Tax Credit on Motor vehicles under GST: An analysis
- 2021.06.05GSTGST Amnesty Scheme- Relaxation, Extensions & Late fees waiver (Read Notification)
- 2021.05.24ArticlesJoin IndiaTaxLaws Esteemed Panel of Authors- Submit Your Article
- 2021.05.20ArticlesITR, Tax Audit, TDS and various other due dates extended for FY 2020-21 (AY 2021-22):COVID-19 Relaxation (View Circular)